19 February 2006

books for women's history month

It's time to start the ordering process for that March 1st kick-off. Nicely corresponding with Dr. Seuss' birthday on March 2, I might add. I'm a little skeptical of the month mentality which does seem to encourage segregating well-rounded historical information from a year-round curriculum. However, I hope to see these lists as a good reference for future lessons, regardless of whether or not they fall in a certain celebrating month.

Women's History Month gained national regonition only in 1987, so it seems like some of the zeal for celebrating it when I was a child came from its relative newness. And the crappy assignments came because there were so few print resources out there about women.

So...here's what's out there celebrating the accomplishments of women and the struggle for gender equality and freedom of expression.

I am rushed at the moment, so I've checked some favorites over at Powell's, where they graciously list 176 titles that discuss women in history. To see my list, go to powells.com, and type in doingmontessori@gmail.com. Also, feel free to send me an email at that address.

More to come. Now, on to a haircut.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home